There are plenty of substances that are poisonous to dogs. Ingestion can happen at almost any time. You let your dog walk down the driveway and he stops to drink from a green puddle of antifreeze. Your neighbor's kid comes over and gives Rover a piece of his favorite treat - a chocolate bar. Fido gets into your purse and eats an entire pack of gum, the kind with xylitol.
These are common scenarios, but that doesn't make them any less frightening. Luckily, it can be simple to handle with the right knowledge and equipment. The STAT!Syringe is a tool to aid in inducing vomiting in dogs and is simple to use. If your dog has eaten a dangerous substance within two hours and is not yet showing any symptoms, this means that the toxins have most likely not been absorbed into their system yet, and vomiting may clear the substances from their system.
Using the STAT!Syringe is fast and easy. You will need the STAT!Syringe and a previously unopened bottle of 3% Hydrogen Peroxide solution. Do not use a higher concentration as this could potentially harm your dog. Next, draw the Hydrogen Peroxide solution into the syringe by placing the tip into the liquid and gently pulling back the plunger. There is a graduated scale on the side of the syringe which corresponds to your dog's weight so that you can accurately measure dosage. If your dog weighs 50 pounds, pull the plunger back until the line is at the 50 lb mark. This scale makes dosing easy and worry-free, both of which are very important in a stressful situation.
Next, place the tip of the syringe in the back of your dog's mouth, in between the cheek and gums, and press the plunger until the syringe is empty. It is best to do this either outside or in an easily cleaned area, as vomiting can sometimes occur in as little as a few seconds.
Once your dog has thrown up, you should call your vet or an animal control center to see if you should still seek out medical attention. Veterinarians will occasionally recommend bringing in your dog so that they can administer charcoal, which can absorb toxins unable to be purged through vomiting.
If your pet has ingested something dangerous, always be sure to first call your veterinarian or the ASPCA's Animal Poison Control Center at (888) 426-4435 to be sure that it's alright to induce vomiting. Some substances can cause more damage if vomiting is induced. If your dog is beginning to show symptoms of poisoning, such as excessive urination, vomiting, diarrhea, or nervousness, it is best to immediately take them to an emergency vet.
Part of pet ownership is being prepared in case of an emergency. Having a well-stocked first aid kit with items that are easily used during times of stress is essential.
If you have any questions, please feel free to contact us. We wish you and your pet a happy, healthy life!
For more information on STAT!Syringe click here!