Maggie, Matt’s mother’s dog, was a chubby, loveable, white Labrador Retriever puppy who would honestly eat anything. It was around 2014 when Matt decided that it was time to create a product specifically to help dogs like Maggie. She would eat anything she could find and it didn’t even have to be food. If her nose liked the smell, Maggie ate it.
Unfortunately, Maggie could also climb. She got on the counters, tables, and into places that no dog should have been. There were many incidents that his mother needed to run Maggie to the vet. She needed to have her stomach pumped on one occasion and this was especially terrifying. Matt’s mom was a great dog owner but Maggie just couldn’t be left unsupervised for one second. She was just that dog.
It was horrifying to think that if she hadn’t gotten Maggie to the vet in time, she could have lost her. She would eat cosmetics, chocolate, prescriptions, bottles of ibuprofen, anything that she found. Maggie was an equal opportunity counter cruiser that found everything to be edible.
Getting a dog’s stomach pumped is very expensive. With Maggie being so very food motivated and Matt's mom being really worried and afraid, Matt developed the Stat! Syringe. It provides an accurate dose, based on the weight of your dog. It induces vomiting when that is the best solution. Obviously, caustic things and sharp things, or things that can lodge in the throat should stay put and transport them to the vet.
Chocolate, rubber bands, crayons, and those sorts of things can all be brought up safely by administering peroxide, which is a safe way to induce vomiting. It’s just for dogs though, not for cats. Most cats don’t eat everything the way that dogs do, so you’re probably okay.
This syringe is a great thing to have handy if you’ve got a puppy or for ‘just in case’ situations. One of the favorite quotes at Innovet is “It’s better to have and not need it than to need it and not have it.” When it comes to things that can be life or death, this is very true and you definitely don’t want to spend the rest of your life wishing you’d have been better prepared.
What is the Stat! Syringe
This is a very specialized device that gives a fast dose of peroxide to your dog. It’s easy to use and it will save your dog’s life if he gets into something toxic or eats harmful food. It will induce vomiting very quickly. The sooner you induce vomiting, the less time the body has to absorb any of the harmful things they swallowed. In the case of poison, time is crucial.
It is safe and can be used on dogs from puppies to older dogs. It will also work on any size of dogs. The syringe is notched to show the correct setting per pound of weight of your dog. You don’t have to guess. You don’t have to be good at math or think. Just set it and use it.
Not only can it save your dog’s life, but it can also save you a whole lot of money too. An emergency vet trip is very costly. If you’ve got a puppy similar to Maggie, that gets into everything, this is simply a must-have.
Having a dog, especially a puppy, is a lot like having a toddler. You baby-proof your home for a toddler. It’s just as important when you have a puppy. In fact, some people say that puppies are harder because when you bring a baby into the home, you’ve got a few months before they are mobile. A puppy is a firecracker the minute you put them down the first time.
One of the top reasons that dogs die each year is that they are poisoned accidentally by eating something that they shouldn’t have. It happens fast too. Matt’s mom was a great puppy parent, but Maggie was so fast and determined that she would constantly find a way to get into something. No matter where you hid the chocolate, she could find it.
Puppies can be a lot of work and unfortunately, they’re really smart too. They seem to know when you aren’t looking and take advantage - at least Maggie did! She was a climber. No matter how high you hid something, she seemed to be able to find her way into it.
Dogs can learn to open doors, cupboards, and even lift lids. They will chew into a container that is supposedly air-tight. They can smell what’s in it though. Aside from having your dog literally tied to your leg all day long, it’s just impossible to watch them every single second, especially if you have children or other pets that also require attention and supervision.
Simply put, the Stat! Syringe is a life-saving device.
It’s So Simple to Use That You’ll Feel Empowered
Just having it in the house will make you feel better. You’ll be able to breathe a sigh of relief just knowing that you are prepared and that you know what to do. We’ll cover what to do and how to use the syringe in more detail below. It’s not hard at all because Matt made sure his mom could use it without complications.
The first thing that you should always do is call poison control for animals. The Animal Poison Control Center’s phone number is 888-426-4435. Save that number into your cell phone and put it on your refrigerator so that all family members can access it quickly. Program it into every phone in the house.
They can tell you what you should do. Remember that not all things should be vomited. Caustic things that may burn the throat should not be brought back up. Sharp objects should not be brought back up. They will tell you what to do.
If they tell you to induce vomiting, you’ll need 3% peroxide. Only this type will do. You should keep a bottle in the house and it can be purchased at any pharmacy or even at the grocery store.
Fill your Stat! Syringe with the peroxide, up to the notch that matches your dog’s weight. Slip the soft tip of the syringe into the side of their mouth. If you go in just behind the long canine tooth, there is a gap that makes it easier. Angle the tip back toward the cheek. Press the plunger of the syringe until all of the peroxide has been administered.
If your dog hasn’t vomited after fifteen minutes, you may administer this dose two more times. Wait fifteen minutes between doses and try to walk him around to help. If he brings it up, this is excellent. Save whatever it is and transport to the vet in case charcoal is now needed. By bringing whatever is in the contents of the vomit with you, it will help the vet to treat him correctly.
Your action, at home, could be what saves your dog’s life. Acting quickly in cases of poison will reduce the absorption of things that can cause damage that is irreparable. Neurotoxins that are absorbed into the body, once they hit the intestines, can’t be taken back. It reduces the odds that your dog recovers fully. Move fast and beat the ingested items from reaching the small intestines and spreading throughout the body.
Your vet may have you come in so that they can also administer charcoal to absorb anything. Charcoal essentially wraps around the toxins and carries them out of the body, preventing them from being absorbed by the body and speeding them out of the body. Doing this after inducing vomiting is just a way of ensuring that if any part of the material remains in the body, it won’t be absorbed. It’s precautionary in some circumstances.
For other things, where there are chunks of chewed items, your vet may want to take an x-ray to see if all the pieces have been expelled. Depending on the item, sometimes the veterinarian will hold an animal and continue taking additional x-rays to ensure something is moving through the intestines without issue. In other cases, when they can tell that items will not move, they may need to go into the stomach or intestines and remove them.
Sometimes, pieces of things can be pulled from the stomach, using a special tool that goes down the throat and has a camera attached. This scope has a claw on the end and the doctor looks through the camera to find the items, grab them, and pull them out via the throat. Obviously, your dog would need to be anesthetized.
If you act fast at home, you’ll hopefully be able to reduce the odds of needing surgical intervention. The average cost of removing an item from the intestines is anywhere from $800 to $7000 dollars, depending on how invasive the surgery needs to be.