TABLE OF CONTENTS
1. CBD Helps Pups Dealing with Separation Anxiety
2. What is Dog Separation Anxiety?
3. Symptoms of Separation Anxiety in Dogs
4. Why Give Dogs CBD Oil for Anxiety?
5. Where to Find Quality CBD Products for Your Dog?
CBD Helps Pups Dealing with Separation Anxiety
Pet owners absolutely love their dogs, and owners get the same amount of affection and warmth from their pets in return – sometimes even more! But have you ever walked into your house only to find that your pet has wreaked havoc on your furniture, funky scratch murals on your walls, or complaints of excessive barking, howling or whining while you were away? If that’s the case, your pup may just be suffering from separation anxiety.
Separation anxiety and other separation-related disorders seem to be much more common than they were back in the day, and now it seems rare for a dog owner to never have heard of the term before. In fact, about 20-40% is accountable for dog behavior cases according to experts. Most likely because the symptoms associated with it are commonly misdiagnosed. These types of disorders can be distressing not only for the dog, but for the owners as well, and we would like to thank you for seeking solutions to helping your pet deal with his or her separation anxiety!
What is Dog Separation Anxiety?
This type of anxiety occurs when your dog becomes anxious, nervous, or frightened when detached from his owner. The severity can range from being slight and unnoticed, to full-blown uncontrollable and anxiety attacks in severe cases. Each dog is different - some are able to cope while others present very destructive characteristics and symptoms. Often this condition is confused with the owner’s failure to provide proper training, but these are anxiety-related conditions and symptoms that should never be ignored.
However, we shouldn’t confuse isolation distress with separation anxiety. Though it is important to take note of the two, just like us humans, dogs can suffer from distress with being left alone. This type of isolation distress indicates a lower intensity of stress behaviors brought on when the dog is alone. True separation distress or separation anxiety occurs when a dog forms a heavy bond with a specific person and often begins to show signs and indications of stress behaviors when that person is absent, even with the presence of other humans and dogs.
Symptoms of Separation Anxiety in Dogs
The symptoms of separation anxiety often become misdiagnosed, or pet owners often think that their little furballs just need to be taught some house rules. The thing is, the symptoms appear to be common and prevalent with other various conditions so proper observation is required to point towards whether your pet may be suffering from anxiety.
Some of the symptoms include:
- Destructive Behavior: This could be a result of separation anxiety or just mere inner puppy behavior, reaction to certain stimuli, excessive energy or a form of dog’s play. Distress brought on by separation could result to excessive barking or howling. Dogs can also be stimulated to bark by instinct when they hear sounds coming from the streets, like honking or outsiders talking like the mailman, or someone offering to buy a product. They may also bark when they hear other dogs barking, or out of playfulness, fear or even aggression and irritation.
- House Soiling: This is a common symptom related with anxiety but also often confused with other possible causes, such as improper house training, lack of access to the indicated elimination areas for your pet, excessive excitement, fear, territorial marking, or physical incontinence.
- Excessive salivation, drooling or panting
- Restlessness, scratching doors, walls or windows, digging at the door
- Attempting to escape from a crate or room
- Dilated pupils
- Excited behavior when you arrive home
- Excess whining or crying when your dog realizes you are making an indication to leave the room or house
- Your dog follows you when you come home
Why Give Dogs CBD Oil for Anxiety?
First things first: CBD does not get your dog high. CBD or Cannabidiol is just one of the many compounds found in hemp and strains of cannabis that are bred to be high in concentrations of CBD, but contain little to no trace of THC, or tetrahydrocannabinol – the constituent that is responsible for creating the psychoactive induced feeling of being high. Pet owners are now giving CBD as a natural supplement often added to food or administered directly to help manage a multitude of health conditions such as anxiety, pain, and other conditions found in both humans and dogs.
- Pain Relief, Inflammation, Joint mobility problems such as Arthritis
- Digestive issues, vomiting, upset stomach and nausea, loss of appetite
- Seizures and Epilepsy
Many studies have been conducted with the intention of using CBD for Anxiety Disorders and the efficacy of CBD for the potential treatment of anxiety-related disorders. Aside from that, CBD has been shown to provide immediate relief. That’s why more and more people are now turning to CBD to help their pups with anxiety. Pet owners using CBD may opt to give dosages 30 minutes to an hour prior before they leave their pups.
Where to Find Quality CBD Products for Your Dog?
With CBD and Hemp now having light shed on their therapeutic benefits, so is the availability of different CBD products all over the market both online and in-store. But how do weed out (pun intended!) the best products? To start, make sure you look for products that clearly show the concentration of CBD. You’ll also want to be sure that the CBD is 100% organic and free from any pesticides or herbicides. Innovet’s PurCBD+ products are exactly that! We produce our products only from the finest hemp and we conveniently provide our Certificate of Analysis (COA) because we want to give you the reassurance that you are getting only the best for the safety of your pet’s health.