- Can Dogs Eat Onions?
- How Can N-propyl disulfide Harm My Dog?
- Which Part of the Onion Can I Give My Dog?
- What Should I Do If My Dog Has Eaten Onions?
Onions are a type of vegetable that is commonly found in the kitchen. They are used in cooking for their flavor and nutritional value. While onions are safe for humans to eat, they can be dangerous for dogs. In this blog post, we will explore the dangers of onions for dogs and provide some tips on how to keep your dog safe.
Can Dogs Eat Onions?
No, they cannot. Onions are a common ingredient in many foods, but they can be dangerous for dogs. Onions contain a toxic principle known as N-propyl disulfide, which can cause oxidative damage to your dog's red blood cells.
How Can N-propyl disulfide Harm My Dog?
This compound attache itself to the oxygen molecules in your dog's bloodstream, which prevents your dog's actual red cells to perform their job. Not only that, but this even tricks your dog's immune system to think its own blood cells are an invader organism. The red blood cell then is destroyed in a process known as hemolysis, which can lead to hemolytic anemia.
Which Part of the Onion Can I Give My Dog?
None. All parts of the onion are unsafe for dogs. And while the flesh, leaves, and juice of onions are all toxic to dogs, processed powders can be especially dangerous. Even when only inhaled, these powders can irritate a dog's respiratory system and cause difficulty breathing.
You can notice toxicity effects in your dog if he has eaten 100 grams of onion per 20 kilograms of weight, meaning even small quantities of onion can be extremely dangerous for dogs - especially smaller breeds.
Not only onions are dangerous, but the whole allium family is, too: garlic, shallots, leeks and chives.
What Should I Do If My Dog Has Eaten Onions?
If you're a dog owner, the most important thing you can do to treat onion toxicity is prevention: never allow your dog to eat onions. If, however, he HAS already eaten it, call your vet immediately, and he'll be able to guide you through it - onion toxicity can be fatal, so you need to be fast.
He may instruct you to try to induce vomit in your dog. It is for these emergency situations that STAT!Syringe is a must-have for every dog's first aid kit. It is designed to quickly and easily administer the proper dose of hydrogen peroxide 3%, which will make your dog vomit safely, making it an essential tool for keeping your furry friend safe and healthy. With its easy-to-use design, the STAT!Syringe is the perfect way to make sure your dog gets the care it needs in an emergency situation.
Given the nature of the toxicity of onions, and how they attack red blood cells, your dog may need support for some time. In severe cases, even blood transfusion may be necessary.
- Symptoms of Onion Toxicity in Dogs
- Decreased Appetite
- Pale gums
- Elevated Heart Rate
- Red urine
While onions are toxic to dogs, there are many other safe and healthy foods that you can give your pet. To learn more about what foods are good for your dog, be sure to check out our blogs. There you will find a wealth of information on all things related to pet care, from nutrition to training and beyond. We hope that you visit us soon!